Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday Randomness: Steampunked & Writing Tech Overlords


This month, I'm using "Thursday Randomness" to preview next month's launch of my comic strip's storyline "Frank & Hip Get SteamPunked." The past two weeks have given you a look at an airship that will appear in the story. This week, I'm going with a peek at a character(s) for the storyline.

Every great steampunk villain needs an army of monsters. Well, my storyline will not ignore this important fact. While I won't tell you what the monster is, I'll give you a look at a cutout of it. What is this creature, and how will it factor into the story for Frank and Hip? You'll have to wait to find out, but I will tell you that it was inspired by the "rotters" in Cherie Priest's novel Boneshaker. For those who haven't read Cherie's book, rotters are her take on zombies.



In the name of being random, I'm gonna throw in another plug here for something TOTALLY different. This year marked my departure from James River Writers as a boardmember, but as Al Pacino said so well in "The Godfather, Park III," just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in. I'll be moderating a panel for JRW's monthly "Writing Show," a week from today. The topic and panel I've been given should make for a great time. Up for discussion will be "A Brave New World: How the Web-Savvy Stand Out in the New Digital Era." I'll be joined by that online guru for writers Dan Blank, the lovely and goofy literary networking diva (and self-proclaimed "recovering high school English teacher") Ricki Schultz and engineering/computer master extraordinaireFrank Petroski. We'll be going over all the ways writers can get out there and get noticed online. Can't wait!





3 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

I'm looking forward to your "Frank & Hip Get SteamPunked" comic strip. The rotters were cool in Cherie Priest's Boneshaker.

That's an awesome panel. I wished I lived a little closer to Richmond. I would go.

By the way, don't forget to email me about what prize you want for placing second in my Flash Fiction Blogfest.

Beth said...

Kind of a creepy-looking monster, but a little on the chunky side. I think I could outrun him. Of course, as they say, I just need to outrun YOU! :)

Ken Riches said...

Looks like a rat-bear :o)