Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The "Write" Time (WW? #17)




I’m late with my reply to Jess’ latest Writer’s Weekly Question, so let’s get right to it.

Writer's Weekly Question# 17:
What season do you find to be the most distracting for you as a writer? Why? Conversely, when do you find that you accomplish the most as a writer?

I really don’t know that I have a worst time of the year as a writer. Hard as I try to think of a time that’s worst for me, I just can’t find this answer. Does this mean I’m consistent year round? No, not a bit. In fact, I’ve done almost no writing at all this month. The reason has nothing to do with the time of year, though. That reason is owed more to random stress that could have struck at any time of the year.

Now, that said… I think summer might be my most productive time. I say this for a reason Jess actually highlighted as one of her distractions. Summer movies often inspire me as a writer. Since much of what I write is action adventure in nature, the summer movies fire my imagination with interesting images and concepts. When I see a movie like “Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith,” I just get jazzed about trying to create something equally exciting. It motivates me to get writing and bring my own creations closer to completion. Perhaps it’s seeing other people bringing their visions of fantasy to life… knowing that if they did it, then so can I.

The reverse was probably true back in my high school and college days. During that time, the school year made writing a welcome reason to ignore homework. Oddly enough, going to class also inspired me to write. The creative spirit didn’t come from any success enjoyed in the classroom. My writing flourished because it was technically me being bad and neglecting my responsibilities, something every teenager enjoys. As I consider this, I have to wonder if that’s a lot of why Jess finds summer more distracting as a writer than I do.

1 comment:

Sandra Ruttan said...

This is an interesting question but I, like you, don't feel any one season lends itself more or less to the creative process. I find summer I'm usually quite productive, but not because of movies.

I think, however, that I budget my writing time around anticipated book releases...